Adams Fire Tech is one of the country’s leading supplier of quality Fire Fighting Equipment with around 2 x decades of experience. We stock the majority fire equipment to meet the immediate needs of commercial and industrial users. Fire Hose Reel from well knwon manufactures like NAFFCO & SFFECO brands are always available which are British Standard (BS) approved. Economically priced non approved China manufactured Fire Hose Reels are also available.For More details Contact Us
Fire Hose Reel System–2nd Lifeline in Your Hands
The Fire Hose Reel system is an immediate fire-fighting response equipment that can be easily be used by the public to contain the spread of the fire. When this fire-fighting equipment is used by a person prepared for such situations, it could save lives and properties, including his/ her own. But would you know what to do if you are required to use it?
Using Hose Reel Set, Remember the P.O.R.T.S. rule:
- Pull and swing out the Fire Hose Reel drum
- Open the control (gate) valve
- Roll out the Fire Hose Reel
- Turn ‘ON’ the nozzle valve
- Spray water over fire
Located within common areas of the building facilities (in a recessed or exposed Hose reel Cabinet, or within a duct), key areas within a tenanted unit, the Hose Reel is easily identified and accessible for use at all times. However, unlike the Portable Fire Extinguisher that can be used for a single attempt to fight the fire, the Fire Hose Reel can be used as long as there is a water supply from the Fire Hose Reel Water Tank.
The following regulations thus require premises to have an operationally-ready and well maintained Fire Hose Reel System:
- Code of Practice for Fire Safety Precautions in Buildings
- Code of Practice for Fire Hydrant, Rising Main and Hose reel System (SS 575: 2012)
Who is responsible for the Hose Reel System?
- Building Owners and Council Members are responsible by regulation
- Fire Protection Specialists, like Civil Defense, Rescue 1122 and Managing agencies, and/ or technicians are engaged to assist Building Owners
- Tenants of owned or rented units are responsible for their own equipment within the unit.
Basic features of the Hose reel System
- Reel set consisting of the drum, hose, nozzle, nozzle clip, and mounting bracket
- Reel cabinet, where provided
- Operating signages, labels and instructions
- Pipes and fittings from the water source (either from the Fire Hose Reel Water Tank, or direct Fire Brigade). Where a Fire Hose reel Water Tank is provided, the Fire Hose reel controller panel and pump sets are being inspected as well.
What Kind of Maintenance will the Hose Reel System Need and How Often?
- According to regulations, the recommended frequency of inspection of the Fire Hose reel System, including the testing Fire Pump System where required, in buildings is MONTHLY. However, the regulatory testing and maintenance of the Fire Hose reel Systems and Equipment are conducted ANNUALLY.
- For industrial buildings with higher risk of fire incidents, more frequent testing and maintenance may be conducted to ensure Total Fire Safety in the premises.
- Inspection checklist for the Fire Hose Reel System:
- No leakage detected
- No obstruction of accessibility or visibility
- Operating instructions on the label are seen legibly
- No physical damage, corrosion, leakage or clogged nozzles
- No entanglement or kinking of the hoses
- Condition of the stop cock/ gate valve/ stop valve is in good working condition
- Condition of hose reel cabinet, where provided, is in good working condition
- Fire extinguisher cabinet/ wall hook bracket
- Service Label by Authorized Companies to proof of servicing of the Hose reel sets.
- Hose reel System is tested by
- servicing the hose reel sets on-site, and
- running the hose reel pumps to determine under the water flow test requirements
- Next, defects are identified for recommendation and rectified in a timely manner.
Tips on having an optimum Hose Reel System:
- Ensure that RISER PIPES are properly INDICATED with the water flow directional area.
- Ensure that RISER PIPES are charged with water supply without leakage.
- Ensure NO OBSTRUCTION or MISUSE of the FIRE HOSE REEL equipment.
- Ensure that the FIRE HOSE REEL SYSTEM pass the regulatory tests for the building requirements. Where a fully operational Fire Pump System is available, to check that it can provide the required water pressure throughout the pipes.
- Dcp Fire Extinguisher in Pakistan